This week's column features a bakery, a day care provider, a market with a complete meat department, a coffee house and a stationery/gift store, and all of them are located in Altadena.
We have a lot of businesses in Altadena that get overlooked by our residents. Some of the businesses featured this week have existed for years and you may have driven by them, never really knowing they were there, or in what they specialize. Maybe you have seen them, wondering, but not stopping in to see what is inside.
One of our goals with this column is to feature good deals for you and your families and to let you know more about the wonderful variety of goods and services that we DO have here in Altadena and the area near us. As usual, any comments or suggestions you have are appreciated.
1. -- featuring spectacular cakes from wedding to birthday to any special occasion. The bakery has been serving their loyal patron for 16 years. They are known throughout the greater Los Angeles area by many corporations, country clubs and hotels for their wonderful products. They also have delicious cookies and pastries. My niece's wedding cake was made there and it was fantastic, and beautiful.761 E. Altadena Drive, Altadena, CA (in the Rite Aid shopping center) -- 626-794-9839, Fax: 626-794-0050
Deal: Small coffee and a pastry, $3.00. Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 9 a.m. -- 5:30 p.m.
2. -- this family run business has been serving the local community as an economic anchor for over 50 years. Run by Scott and Laurie Webster, it has a great mix of office supplies, books by local authors, UPS shipping, lovely stationery and a full range of gifts for all ages. 2450 N. Lake Street, Suite B, Altadena, CA. -- 626-797-1135
DEAL: Silly Bandz, buy 1, get the second of equal or lesser value FREE, PACIFICA Soy Candles, 50% off, PACIFICA line of 100% organic/vegan fragranced body care products, buy 3 mix and match & save 15%Hours: Weekdays 9:30 am -- 6:30 pm, Sat. 10 am to 6pm, Sun. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. -- is a social and creative hub of Altadena. Where coffee, creativity, and community merge to form a funky little coffee house experience. There are many activities that happen here both backstage and front-stage, from great shows to open Mic nights to water color classes. 2029 N. Lake Ave., Altadena, CA -- 626-398-7917
DEAL: Coffee, Couches and Conversation...Kids welcomed, toys and books available.Hours: Weekdays 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Sat. & Sunday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
4. Bo's Altadena Market -- newly remodeled/reopened neighborhood market with new owner. This is more than just a small market, it has a full butcher shop with very nice quality meat. Mr. Lee the butcher is back. He has many years of experience, and can get your order to the ounce by eyeballing it, but weighs it just the same. He will do special cuts and bone or grind the meat for you. They also carry deli counter cold cuts, as well as drinks, ice cream, packaged and canned goods. 153 W. Altadena Drive, Altadena, CA -- 626-398-1226
Deal: Chicken Fajitas $1.89 lb. (more meat than vegies), Beef chuck clod roast $2.99 lb., Kirks Castile Coconut Oil Soap (No Animal by products or synthetic detergents) $.99 per bar (the only soap my dad would ever use). Hours: 7 days, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
5. Lopez Family Home Child Care -- License #198010048 -- Director, Delmi Lopez. Delmi provides a safe and nurturing learning environment for children. My granddaughter has been cared for by Delmi since she was 7 months old. She loves going there and loves Delmi. The daycare provides more than just daycare, she works with the children on their learning level with shapes, colors, numbers, letters and much more. Delmi is conscientious, patient, trustworthy and kind, as well as knowledgeable and trained.374 W. Woodbury Road, Altadena, CA 91001 -- 626-791-3951
DEAL: Rates include nutritious hot meals. Overnight care available as well as weekends.Hours: Call for schedule