The city of Beverly Hills is making sandbags available to residents who need them to protect their property against the coming storm.
In a press release, the city offers these tips to “be prepared to take action if heavy rainfall causes mudslides, flooding, electrical outages, water contamination or other dangers.”
- Clean out all gutters, v-ditches and drainage systems
- Keep sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber and other emergency building materials handy for waterproofing. The city can provide up to 10 sandbags per Beverly Hills household. Call (310) 285-2467 for information.
- Purchase or renew your flood insurance policy
- Use a licensed roofing contractor to thoroughly check and repair (or replace) worn roofing materials
- Make sure that water from down-spouts and paved surfaces drains away from slopes, preferably to public streets, preventing slopes from becoming saturated and creating mudslides
- Cover the top of slopes with sheets of plastic to prevent water from entering and causing mudslides
- Report any blocked or clogged street catch basins to the City’s Public Works Department at 310-285-2467