The Bay Area Red Cross Chapter is seeking nominations for the Hero Awards, which recognizes members of the community who have shown courage, dedication, and character through acts of heroism and kindness.
Burlingame and Hillsborough residents are encouraged to nominate a hero for one of the following categories:
- Lifesaving Hero, Adult: An adult who has performed an extraordinary lifesaving act, using skills such as CPR or first aid.
- Lifesaving Hero, Youth: A youth who has performed an extraordinary lifesaving act, using skills such as CPR or first aid.
- Act of Courage Hero: An adult or youth who has performed an extraordinary act of courage.
- Act of Kindness & Philanthropy Hero: An adult or youth who has shown an extreme act of kindness or selflessness.
- Community Service Hero, Individual: An adult or youth who has performed great community service.
- Community Service Hero, Organization: A business or organization that has performed great community service.
- Animal Rescue Hero: An animal that has protected a human in a time of need or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
A committee of San Mateo County community leaders will select the Hero Awards recipients. All nominees must work or reside in San Mateo County, although the heroic acts may have occurred elsewhere. The heroic act must have occurred between Jan. 1, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2013.
The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, Jan. 31, 2014.
The 2014 San Mateo County Heroes Breakfast will be held on Thursday, May 29, 2014, at the Poplar Creek Grill in San Mateo.
To nominate a hero, purchase tickets to the event, or for more details about the event, please visit the San Mateo County Heroes website atredcross.org/SMCHeroes. For more information on how to become a sponsor of the Heroes Breakfast, please contact Rachelle Ungaretti directly at Rachelle.Ungaretti@redcross.org.