Gas Leak Prompts Brief Evacuation of Elementary School
An elementary school in unincorporated Hayward was briefly evacuated this morning because of a gas leak, an Alameda County fire spokeswoman said.
Firefighters responded to the gas leak at Colonial Acres Elementary School in 17115 Meekland Ave. at 8:10 a.m., spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
School officials decided to evacuate all students from the campus, she said.
Firefighters walked through the campus, located the leak and attempted to stop the flow of gas, but it continued to seep, Knowles said.
Fire officials requested that PG&E respond to the scene, and a school employee said the gas leak was capped at about 8:45 a.m.
No injuries were reported, according to Knowles.