By AUTUMN JOHNSON
Cinco de Mayo is just days away and for those of you looking to throw an authentic Mexican fiesta with a healthful twist for guests, Bay Area Chef Michele Wieser shares her crowd-pleasing recipes for a killer guacamole, an easy vegetarian taco salad and a healthy cilantro lime chicken.
Whether you are hosting a party of two or twenty, Chef Shell the Dinner Belle has got you covered.
Healthy Guacamole' (Video originally featured for Superbowl 2013)
- 4 Ripe Avocados
- 6-8 Ripe small Campari tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 6 Dashes of hot sauce (or to your liking)
Cilantro Lime Chicken (Video originally featured for graduation 2013)
- 3-4 Pound of skinless boneless chicken pieces (thighs or breasts or both)
- 1 Package of taco seasoning, your favorite brand
- 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup of cilantro (put more in if you like)
- 1 Jar of green salsa verde (14-24 oz)
Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken then pour entire jar of salsa over chicken, sprinkle cilantro and squeeze lime over chicken.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until chicken can be shredded with two forks.
Put meat into taco shells or over a nice green salad. Enjoy.
Chef Shell's Healthy Vegetarian Taco Salad
The secret to this fabulous taco salad is the Mexicali beans and the homemade dressing.
- 6 Cups of cut romaine lettuce
- 1 Cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup of roasted corn (frozen is ok)
- 1 Jalapeno diced
- 1/2 Cup of chopped cilantro
- 4 Cups of crushed tortilla chips (I like the blue corn for another color in the salad)
- 1 Cup of diced white onion
- 1 Clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 2 Cans of black beans, drained
- 1/3 Cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 Teaspoons of sugar
- 2/3 Cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Follow Chef Shell's 'Ask a Chef' feature and blogs on Patch. Watch her videos to get easy, healthful ideas for feeding your family.
Pork Tenderloin 2 Ways: Easter Dinner in a Snap
- St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef: 1 Traditional Meal Cooked 2…
- Healthy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup from Chef Shell the Dinner Belle
- Father's Day Food: Baby Back Ribs
- Ask a Chef: Perfect Poached Eggs; How to Find Culinary Scholarships
- Ask a Chef: What Herbs Belong in Spaghetti Sauce?
- Ask a Chef: Which Marsala Wine is Best in Chicken Marsala?
- Ask a Chef: What Are 5 the 'Must Have' Items to Keep in Fridge, Pantry?
- Chef Shell the Dinner Belle: Fast Holiday Breakfast Idea