Candy gets all the glory during Halloween, but there are plenty of Encinitas bakeries that give the sugary stuff a run for its money.
Many of these baked goodies are only offered this time of year—and if you scroll through the photo gallery attached to this story, you can feast your eyes on some of the confections that have local foodies lining up to get their fill while they can.
Whether you’re in search of something for that upcoming Halloween party or just looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, here’s a rundown of some seasonal treats you won’t want to miss:
VG Donut & Bakery, 106 Aberdeen Dr., (760) 753-2400
- The donuts are undoubtedly the star here, and this month, many of them are sporting autumn-colored sprinkles, and those will run you about $1 each. And there's several Halloween-inspired cookies and cupcakes, which range from $1 to $3 each.
- Keep an eye out for the pumpkin parfait in the rotating dessert case. It features layers of pumpkin cake and pumpkin Bavarian cream all topped with cream cheese icing—and it costs $10.99.
- You can pre-order mini tarts featuring autumn flavors like pumpkin, apple-cranberry, and pumpkin cream—but you’ll have to call a couple of days in advance. Those are $4.50 a pop.
Dos Palmas Bakery and Grill, 1302 North Coast Highway, (760) 230-6452
- In addition to pumpkin empanadas you’ll normally find in the pan dulce line up you'll also find cookies shaped like ghosts, pumpkins, bones, and fingers. Those are just 50 cents each, so you'll likely want to load up.
- And there's another not-so-common treat you should have on your radar: Pan de Muerto. This flakey sweet roll is traditionally put on the gravesites of loved ones in celebration of Dia de los Muertos, which is celebrated Nov. 1 and 2.
Elizabethan Desserts, 155 Quail Gardens Dr., (760) 230-6780
- You can now drop in for pumpkin-caramel whoopie pies. Those are $3.50 for the standard size, or $1.50 for the mini.
- The Halloween-themed sugar cookies here come topped with American buttercream frosting, and they'll run you $3.95 a pop.
- This month you can order cupcakes featuring all sorts of creepy creatures, like ghosts, owls, Cyclops, and werewolves. A large cupcake costs $3.75, and the mini goes for $2.05
Foodie Amor ,918 North Hwy 101, (760) 633-3361
- Near the register you’ll find grab-and-go packages of cookies that are shaped like ghosts and pumpkins. This variety is a signature blend between shortbread and sugar cookies, and you can get a bag of five cookies for $5.99.
- The bakery also runs an online wholesale business that carries some more seasonal treats, including spiced pumpkin holiday cookies, salted brown butter cookies, and dark chocolate fig cookies. For $12 you can get half a dozen.