The following is a news release from the Sacramento Metro Fire District:
Just after 4pm [Tuesday], Metro Fire units were dispatched to the 8100 block of Gloriann Way in Antelope for report of smoke from a roof. First units to arrive found light smoke coming from a residence and forced their way inside to find a well-involved master bedroom fire.
Twenty-four firefighters engaged in fire attack, searching, ventilating, salvage and overhaul. Crews were able to contain the fire to the bedroom, protecting the rest of the home from fire and water damage. Firefighting efforts saved roughly $330,000 in personal property, with an estimated loss of $20,000. Aggressive firefighting tactics, combined with water conservation, minimized damage to the house and saved the resident’s lifelong collection of comic books, undamaged.
No firefighters or civilians were injured in the fire. Two pet cats inside the residence ran to safety when crews opened a door. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature, having started under the bed with extension cords. Metro Fire reminds you to protect your family from fire, use properly rated extension cords, plug high energy equipment directly into a wall outlet, and have working smoke alarms near every room where sleeping occurs.
The first unit to arrive on this fire was a truck company, arriving a full minute and 47 seconds before any other apparatus. The station closest to this home previously housed both an engine and a truck company. Due to the continued decrease in property tax revenue, the engine was forced to close roughly two years ago. Fortunately for this family, nearby engine companies were able to get water on the fire before it spread to other rooms.
For more information, check out www.metrofire.ca.govand sign up for our E-newsletter.