21 Aug 2014
71° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by patch

Clothes Dryer Causes Fire In Menifee

Firefighters received the call Sunday for the fire in the 33000 block of Jasper Circle in Menifee.

Clothes Dryer Causes Fire In Menifee

A faulty clothes dryer caused a fire early Sunday morning at a Menifee home, a fire official is reporting, and residents are reminded that blazes caused by these appliances are not uncommon. 

Firefighters received a 911 call at 1:52 a.m. in the 33000 block of Jasper Circle about the blaze. They arrived to find light smoke coming from the single-story home, Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department spokesman Mark Annas reported.

The small fire was contained to the dryer by 2:03 p.m., Annas explained. One resident was transported to an area hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, he continued. 

Dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 22 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2006-2010, and clothes dryers accounted for 92 percent of those blazes,  according to the National Fire Protection Association website.

The leading cause of the fires was failure to clean them (32 percent), followed by mechanical failure or malfunction (22 percent), and eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction, the website continued.

Click here to read the full report, including safety tips.




Share This Article