While college students should know how this is done by now, it is the students in the Los Altos School District and the Mountain View-Los Altos High School District and their parents who might not have everything down pat.
This Tips and Tricks is for you!
Patch will have more Tips and Tricks for everyone as the days roll by.
Things to know about Los Altos School district:
- School locations, www.lasdschools.org/District/1419-School-List.html
- First day of school is August 22.
- School District Calendar (pdf)
Things to know about Los Altos High School:
- Address is 201 Almond Ave., Los Altos
- First day of school is Aug. 13
- 2012-2013 school year calendar
Back to School reminders
- The Huffington Post has an excellent article on back to school shopping tips.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics has a great list of tips ranging from tips to making friends to tips to stop bullying.
- If you don't have class supply lists, buy the back to school supplies your student will need regardless (pencils, paper, binders) now while the sales are on, and sometimes given away for free. And stock up on your needs as well.
Things to do before school starts
- Stop Separation Anxiety
This is possibly the hardest part of school for both children and parents is separation anxiety. It can affect children even into their pre-teen years. The National Institute of Mental Health has said that 25.1 percent of 13- to18-year-olds suffer from some form anxiety. Try these tips to limit anxiety stemming from separation.
- Be well rested - This applies to both parents and children, as feeling tired will increase stress.
- Develop a "goodbye" ritual - according to helpguide.org, "Rituals are reassuring and can be as simple as a special wave through the window or a goodbye kiss."
- Let the child bring a piece of home - The piece could be something as small as a toy or as large as a backpack, but the familiarity it brings with it will help greatly.
- Don't give in - Like many things in life giving in is the end. This applies to both children and parents. Don't let a child delay going to school, or claim being sick, but parents have to also keep their distance and not hover.
For more information on separation anxiety visit the Anxiety and Depression Association of America and for more information on Los Altos schools visit the Mountain View Los Altos School District's website, www.lasdschools.org/District
Don't miss a thing in Los Altos!