1. West Valley Community Services, Inc., presents Taste of Compassion hosted by The Mynt in San Jose, 5210 Prospect Rd., 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 27. Tickets for adults are $24 in advance, $26 at the door; children, $12 in advance, $13 at the door. Fifty percent of proceeds directly benefit services to prevent hunger and homelessness in Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Cupertino, Saratoga and West San Jose. Details: Jacqueline de Guzman, 408-255-8033, x 305.
2. Two new exhibits highlight photos and artifacts from the and Los Gatos Public Library collections. The exhibits are on display 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Wedneday-Sunday at the museum, 75 Church St. The Hooked on Los Gatos photo project began in 2003 to preserve and make accessible the photos and archival documents of the Los Gatos community. In Capturing Los Gatos, Museum visitors will have the opportunity to view historic images of Los Gatans over the past 100 years, many of which have not been published outside of the online project website. Traps, Maps and Money Belts features common and unique artifacts from The Museum Collection that tell a story about different eras and people in Los Gatos history, including anti-prohibition banners from a controversial 1908 town election. Details: 408-395-7375.
3. Aching knee, hip or back? Conducted by board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians, offers two free consecutive pain-management lectures 6-8 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 27, conference rooms 1 and 2, 815 Pollard Rd. Speakers are orthopedic surgeons Maury Harwood and Michael Cluck. Details: 408-378-6131.
4. New mothers' group meets 9-11 a.m, Wednesday, Sept. 28, in the Good Samaritan Hospital Auditorium, 2425 Samaritan Dr., to discuss topics of concern to new moms, with time to share tips and experiences with others. Occasional guest speakers. For mothers with babies from birth to six months. Babies enjoy the outing. Drop-in format. Details: 408-559-201.
5. Join Los Gatos resident Brad Armstrong, co-owner of the Willow Glen store, at 6:15 a.m. every Tuesday for a free track workout that includes combinations of 400- and 800-meter repeats and one-mile distances. The group meets at the track, rain, hail or shine. Details: 408-354-7365 or 408-297-0100.