The Los Gatos Town Council meets at 7 p.m. tonight, Monday, Feb. 4, at Town Council Chambers, 110 E. Main St. to discuss the sales of firearms and ammunition following the December 2012 opening of Templar Sports, 611 University Ave.
The PDF staff report related to the controversial issue is attached to this post. The five-page document contains several addendum letters from town residents in favor and against the new business, including a missive from attorney Donald Kilmer, who's representing Templar Sports' owners.
According to report, town staff has been directed to research and prepare a potential ordinance and policy changes necessary to:
- Designate which land-use zones may be appropriate for sale of firearms and ammunition;
- Require a conditional-use permit for the sale of firearms and ammunition;
- Restrict home occupation permits for sale of firearms and ammunition;
- Establish a police permit requirement for dealers of firearms and ammunition;
- Require identification checks for the sale of ammunition; and /or
- Require the reporting of lost or stolen firearms
The issue was placed on tonight's agenda after Los Gatos Mayor Barbara Spector asked for such a hearing at the Dec. 17, 2012 Council meeting, staff said.
Questions have been raised by the public regarding Templar Sports' opening without prior public review and consideration of additional regulatory requirements, the report said.
The town does not have any legal or policy restrictions on the sale of firearms or
ammunition, except for a prohibition on sales to minors, which generally reflects state law, the report stated.
Further, there is no documentation of any prior town restrictions on such sales.
Given the absence of any local regulations, the sale of firearms and ammunition in Los Gatos is solely under the purview of existing federal and state laws.
To read the complete staff report about this issue, please see attached PDF.
- New Los Gatos Gun Shop Causes Safety, Security Concerns
- Los Gatos Gun Shop Owner is Templar Sports
- Town of Los Gatos Issues Statement on New Gun Store
- Los Gatos Resident Wants Stricter Gun Retailer Control Laws
- Video: Los Gatos Town Council to Hold Study Session on Gun Sales
- Los Gatos Gun Store Opponents Protest Saturday
- Small Group Protests Gun Shop Opening
- New Los Gatos Gun Shop May See Protestors