A fire that caused $60,000 worth of damage to an H Street home on Monday night was probably started by transients, a spokesman for Consolidated Fire said Tuesday evening.
"We believe the fire was due to squatters," said Fire Marshall Lewis Broschard, "people who weren't supposed to be there. There was a broken window, but no power or gas service to the home. We believe they were using the fire to keep warm, or cook food, or something else."
Two men were seen leaving 403 H St. last week, and at least one neighbor believed the men were using drugs. Neighbors have complained for some time that squatters were living in the home, which was a result of a foreclosure.