Jul 29, 2014
Partly Cloudy

Seniors Need to File an Application to Receive Tax Exemption

While supporters and opponents of Measure E battle for the hearts of voters, seniors have the opportunity to opt-out of the $84 parcel tax passed in 2010.

Seniors Need to File an Application to Receive Tax Exemption

When voters passed a five-year, $84 parcel tax in 2010, seniors were given the opportunity to opt-out of paying the tax.  The catch—they must file an application for the exemption each year. The deadline for filing this year’s application is June 29.

To be eligible for the exemption you must be age 65 or older, be a homeowner, and live in the home for which you are requesting the exemption. 

Applications must be made in person, and you must bring the following:

  1. Last year’s tax bill showing the Assessor’s
    Parcel Number
  2. Proof of residence (driver’s license, California I.D., utility bill)
  3. Proof of age (driver’s license, California I.D., passport, Medicare card)

Applications are accepted Monday – Friday at the Samuel Ayer Education Center, 1331 East Calaveras Blvd., Building 200, Room 203. Signs are posted to guide you. Hours are 8:00 – noon, closed for lunch, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. For more information call 408-635-2600, extension 6003.

Voters passed Measure B in June 2010. The five-year, $84 parcel tax is dedicated to school programs and reducing class sizes.

A new tax appears on this year’s ballot. Measure E would raise $95 million for school maintenance, facility upgrades, and a new elementary school in the Transit Area. It would add an additional $50 per $100,000 of assessed value, so the owner of a $500,000 home would pay an additional $250 per year in taxes.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!