Monday Essentials: King Day Observed and City Council Meets
1. Los Angeles County offices will be closed on Monday in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday. Federal and state offices will also be closed, as will many businesses.
2. Myrtle Avenue at the railroad crossing near Duarte Road will be closed for four months starting today. Detours to get to businesses in the area and around the construction will be provided by the Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority. Click here for more information.
3. Recent brush fires around Southern California are making the air in some cities unhealthy to breathe. The South Coast Air Quality Management District, the air pollution control agency for Orange County and urban areas of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, offers a map with current hourly air quality reports.
4. The Monrovia City Council meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Click here to see what is on the agenda.
5. In a world of smartphones, tablets and laptops, it’s hard to remember that writing began by hand. Wednesday is National Handwriting Day and maybe a good time to break out a pen and practice your cursive.