23 Aug 2014
65° Clear

Napa HS Reopens After Chlorine Smell Closure

Napa HS Reopens After Chlorine Smell Closure
Napa High School reopened today after a strong smell of chlorine from the school's swimming pool closed the campus Wednesday.

A message on the school's website notified students and parents that the campus was reopening this morning.

[Previous:  Napa High Closes Due To Chlorine Smell in Pool; Tuesday's Downed Power Lines to Blame.] 

The smell was blamed on the failure of a water pump during a power outage caused by downed power lines nearby on state Highway 29 on Tuesday evening.

A pump that adds liquid chlorine to the pool continued to function, causing an excess of chlorine in the pool water, Napa city spokesman Barry Martin said Wednesday.

The smell was evident when school staff arrived at 6:30 a.m., Martin said.

The Napa Fire Department responded to the incident and advised the school to close. Students and staff left the school by 7:30 a.m., Martin said.

Three school maintenance workers reported breathing problems and were taken to a hospital, Martin said.

--Bay City News

Share This Article