23 Aug 2014
60° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch

Officer Disarmed During 'Violent Struggle' Between Suspect, Palo Alto PD

A Fresno man is accused of attacking a Palo Alto police officer, and trying to shoot him with his own gun.

Officer Disarmed During 'Violent Struggle' Between Suspect, Palo Alto PD
By Renee Schiavone and Bay City News Service: 

A Fresno man was arrested Thursday afternoon after getting into a physical altercation, described as a "violent struggle," with an officer in downtown Palo Alto, police said Friday.

An officer responded to several 911 calls reporting a suspect's bizarre behavior. The first call was made at about 2:50 p.m. reporting a suspect was in the backyard of a home in the 200 block of Emerson Street. Two other calls were made at about 2:55 p.m. about a possible burglary in progress at The Hookah Spot, at 235 University Ave., police said.

One of the callers reported seeing the suspect jump through a glass window of The Hookah Spot, which was closed.

The responding officer spotted the suspect, who was bleeding from a cut to the head, walking west on Lytton Avenue, near Emerson Street. When the officer attempted to stop the suspect, identified as 34-year-old Ryan Goodson, he was attacked-- and briefly disarmed, according to police reports.

"When the officer directed him to stop, the suspect immediately attacked the officer, and the two began struggling on the sidewalk," Palo Alto Police Sgt. Kara Apple said in a press statement.  "During the course of the struggle, the suspect was able to physically separate the officer’s holstered firearm from his duty belt."

As the struggle continued, Goodson allegedly pulled the officer's holstered firearm and pointed it at him "...  but was unable to remove the weapon from the holster, so it would not fire despite him attempting to access the trigger."

Meanwhile, while Goodson was attempting to access the trigger of the officer's Glock 22 .40-caliber gun, the officer got up and tackled him to the ground-- getting bit on the shoulder and slamming his head on an electrical box in the process, according to Apple.

Backup soon arrived.

"Two other officers arrived on scene within thirty seconds, and one of those officers was forced to use their TASER one time to help overcome the suspect’s resistance and take him into custody," Apple said.  "The still-holstered firearm was safely recovered nearby."

One of the responding officers used a stun gun to help subdue Goodson, police said. Goodson continued to struggle with the officers after being handcuffed, but was put in a leg restraint to be controlled, according to police.

 Police said Goodson suffered moderate injuries to his head and mouth, which is believed to have happened when he jumped through The Hookah Spot glass window.

 After being released from a hospital, Goodson was booked into the Santa Clara County Main Jail on suspicion of taking a peace officer's firearm, resisting arrest with violence, brandishing a deadly weapon while resisting and battery on a peace officer with injury. He remained under observation Friday morning, police said.

The officer suffered moderate injuries to his hands and knee, as well as pain to his head and shoulder.  He was treated and released from the hospital, according to Apple.

A second officer received minor injuries but declined medical attention.

No other officers were injured. Police continue to investigate the incident.

Anyone who witnessed Goodson's alleged behavior, or has information about the incident, is asked to call (650) 329-2413 or anonymously at (650) 383-8984.

Share This Article