During a "Green House Call", a youth energy specialist, teamed with an adult, will:
- Check for adequate attic insulation, pipe insulation, and a hot water heater blanket
- Assess refrigerator and water heater temperature settings
- Conduct gallon-per-minute flow rate tests where feasible on showers and kitchen and bathroom water fixtures
- Assess toilets for leaks and flush volume
- Install water-saving faucet aerators, showerheads and toilet flappers
- Replace all incandescent bulbs with energy-saving compact fluorescent versions
- Install a retractable clothesline to reduce dryer use or a power strip to reduce phantom load from electronic devices
- Collect information on the efficiency of sprinkler systems
- Educate the resident on ways to conserve energy, water, and waste.
Sign up online at Rising Sun Energy< http://www.risingsunenergy.org/content/greencall.html> or call 510-665-1501 ext. 5 to reserve your appointment.
The "Green House Calls" program is offered by the City of Pleasanton and by Rising Sun Energy Center's through its youth employment program, California Youth Energy Services (CYES).
Since 2000, Rising Sun Energy Center has trained more than 1,300 youth between the ages of 15-22 and has served more than 20,000 homes. This program is supported by funding from Pacific Gas & Electric Company, the East Bay Energy Watch Partnership, and Alameda County Water District.
—Information submitted by City of Pleasanton