Dylan Fontillas, a student at Santa Barbara City College, was in the deli when Elliot Rodger shot and killed Christopher Michaels-Martinez. Fontillas could be seen on the surveillance footage ducking and diving as the bullets flew past him.
"He [Rodgers] had no target, was just shooting at everyone," Fontillas said in an interview with KPIX 5.
Fontillas described the shooting as lasting about 15 to 20 seconds.
Fontillas told KPIX 5 he will always remember the look on Rodger's face, "He was almost smiling, like he was happy about what was going on. It was very chilling. I’ll remember that face for a long time."
Fontillas sent several tweets after the shooting recounting the traumatic scene:
- "Witnessed a kid get shot and watched him die in front of me while they used my shirt to cover his wounds and reccesitate him. Crazy night."
- "I was no more than 2 feet from the dude who took 2 to the chest. U don't kno fear tilur on the ground crawling away from some1 shooting at u."
- "Omg@ i can't believe we just got shot at in IV deli"
"Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and the families affected by last nights tragic event in our home of Isla Vista."
Three other UCSB mass murder victims were from the Bay Area including 20-year-old Weihan "David" Wang of Fremont.
Related: Parents of Fremont Man Murdered in UCSB Massacre Say Son Wanted to Move Out
See more Patch coverage:
- Remembering Veronika Weiss, UCSB Student
- Memorial Planned for UCSB Victims at UCLA Tonight
- Memorial Planned at Westlake High Today for Isla Vista Victim
UCSB Candlelight Vigil on Monday to Include Bay Area Victims
- Fremont Resident Among 3 Bay Area Victims of UC Santa Barbara Mass Murder
- Elliot Rodger's Retribution Video in Full: 'I Will Slaughter ... All of Those Girls I Desired So Much'
- UCSB Shooter Is From Woodland Hills, at Woodland Hills Patch
- Isla Vista: A Crime Scene on Repeat
- First Isla Vista Victim ID'd as Westlake Village Resident
- Isla Vista Mass Murderer Says He Was Bullied at Valley Schools
- Isla Vista Shooter Sought 'Retribution' for Women who Shunned Him