We’ve reached the end of summer. Friday marks the first day of autumn and the weekend forecast promises cooler, cloudy weather. Enjoy the new season with some fun events and activities for you and the family. We’ve got the best bets, near and far, listed below.
This weekend, get out in Ramona and visit the airport for an open house where you can check out cool and rare planes, help out the local high school band at a spaghetti dinner, swap out your excess fruits and veggies and attend a floral open house.
Looking for some travel time? Head down the hill to Poway for a rodeo, go to Rancho Bernardo for an art tour or visit Santee for a bluegrass and wine festival. Coronado’s the place if you’ve got the need for speed. Ale aficionados can visit Point Loma for the San Diego County Beer Fair.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: Ramona Airport, 2926 Montecito Rd., Ramona, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Enjoy Ramona Airport’s 54th annual Open House and check out airplanes from WWII, experimental planes, helicopters and more. “Big Jimmy,” a 1939 Fire Truck that was built for La Mesa Fire Department will also be on display. Food will be available for purchase.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 404 8th St., Ramona, 6:30-8 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Support the Ramona High School band at this spaghetti dinner fundraiser. Eat up the long pasta and participate in a cake walk.
- Price: $7 per person or $20 per family.
- When/where: , 642 Main St., Ramona, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Bring in your homemade goods or extra food from your garden and swap it out with other neighbors’ treats.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 758 Main St., Ramona, 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Come visit the new florist shop for food, drinks, socializing and of course, lots of beautiful flowers on display. You can attend the shop’s on Friday at 10 a.m.
- Price: Free, but call to reserve a spot on the guest list.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Poway Valley Riders Association Grounds, 14336 Tierra Bonita Rd., Poway, 7:30 p.m. Friday (gates open at 6 p.m.); 1 p.m. Saturday (gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
- Why go: It’s the Poway Rodeo! Visit the show for some roping, steering, bareback riding and more.
- Price: $5-$53.
- When/where: , 16955 Bernardo Oaks Dr., San Diego, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Travel around Rancho Bernardo (and Poway) and visit over 20 local award-winning artists at nine different locations. You’ll get a map and directions and spend the day browsing local masterpieces.
- Price: $10.
- When/where: , intersection of Riverwalk Drive and Cuyamaca Street, Santee, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Enjoy life’s simple pleasures at this Bluegrass and Wine Festival. Sip on wine, munch on cheese, and tap your foot to some twang. A silent auction will also be held.
- Price: $35.
- When/where: , North Island Naval Complex, Coronado, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: See cars race and wind their way around the naval base at this Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival.
- Price: $25-$150.
- When/where: 2750 Womble Rd., San Diego, noon-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the San Diego County Beer Fair, where you can sample 12 beers, taste samples of food, meet brewers and more.
- Price: $35-$50.