15 Sep 2014
73° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by apennyforyourwraps
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by patchvoices
Patch Instagram photo by jeffsvarietycomedyshow
Patch Instagram photo by myredondobeach

2nd Suspect Sought in Fatal Bar Fight

A man arrested on suspicion of murder in the beating death of a Pats II Cocktails employee in South Redondo Beach is released "pending further investigation," police say.

2nd Suspect Sought in Fatal Bar Fight 2nd Suspect Sought in Fatal Bar Fight

Editor's note: This article was originally published at Sunday, June 3, at 6:48 p.m.

Redondo Beach police officers continued the hunt Monday for a second suspect in connection with the at early Saturday morning in South Redondo Beach.

Francisco “Frank” Cobarruvias Jr., 35, is still at large, police said. The first suspect, Alejandro Avina, 30, of Carson was arrested at about noon Saturday on suspicion of murder; however, he was released Monday "pending further investigation," said Sgt. Shawn Freeman.

Avina, who was being held on $1 million bail, will not be arraigned Tuesday as scheduled, Freeman said. He declined to say why Avina was no longer in custody.

"He's just been released," Freeman said. "Our investigation is still continuing."

Police believe Cobarruvias, a single father, is traveling with his three children, ages 3 to 11 years old, in a 1999 black BMW 528i with four doors and chrome rims and license plate No. 4GTT805. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the tip line at 310-937-6685, text 310-339-2362 or email crimetips@redondo.org. People may also contact the police department directly at 310-379-2477.

Police don’t believe Cobarruvias intends to harm his children.

"We're hoping he drops his children at his parents' house and turns himself in," Redondo Beach police Sgt. Fabian Saucedo said.

The Daily Breeze reported that court records indicate authorities had previously arrested Cobarruvias on suspicion of public drunkenness, spousal abuse and assault.

Cobarruvias and Avina are accused of beating the bouncer at Pats II Cocktails, who friends have identified on Facebook as Terie Colecchi. The man was found unconscious on the sidewalk outside the establishment shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday and later died of his injuries after being transported to a local hospital.

Saturday’s incident was captured on surveillance video, and though there is no audio, the tape shows Terie "just escorting (the suspects) out," Saucedo said.

Right now, police believe that the two men showed up right before closing, after last call. When the bouncer refused them entry, one man started throwing punches and knocked Terie to the ground, police said. Once the bouncer was on the ground, one of the men appeared to kick him in the head.

City News Service reported that one of the suspects might have been a regular at Pats II.

Police Sgt. Shawn Freeman told Patch that all the department's detectives are working on the case.

An impromptu memorial dedicated to Terie—who was described as a gentle giant—sprung up Saturday adjacent to the bar.

"This is beyond sad," Patch commenter "V p" said. "(Terie) was a good human doing his job … Now his son has no father."

Commenter Jennifer Malara said Terie was "just the nicest guy."

"He was a really nice guy," Malara told Patch in an email. She said the victim was a friend of both of her sons. "(Terie) is a stand-up guy who was loved by all. This is extremely unfair."

After remaining closed all of Saturday, the bar reopened Sunday morning. Employees had planned to set out a collection jar to raise money for the bouncer's 11-year-old son.

A benefit event, including a raffle and live music, is being planned.

—City News Service contributed to this report.

Share This Article