The idea of a happy hour has been around for many years. Back in the prohibition days, people would often gather for cocktail hours, or happy hours in illegal spots before going to dinner. These days, happy hour is that late afternoon time when co-workers get together to socialize a bit after a long day at work, or flock to local watering holes for a cheap beer. Of course it never seems to last just one hour!
Several other community Patch sites have already explored this topic of Happy Hours in their little patch ( did one, as did , and . We tried to leave no stone unturned in a quest for happy hour hot spots in Rohnert Park and Cotati. If you know of a place we missed feel free to add it to the comments below!
– Located by the movie theater, Season’s is the type of place that has a little bit of everything. As a sports bar they have plenty of room to watch the games. Happy hour runs from daily from 3-6 p.m., seven days a week. Draft beers are $3 and appetizers are half off. They also have a decent wine list and during happy hour the entire menu is available as well as daily seasonal specials. Bottoms up!
– Aside from doing banquets and other large events, Sally Tomatoes and a very nice little café and bar at the Event Center in the Sonoma Mountain Village. They have a regular Happy Hour from 4-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday that features well drinks for only $2.50. They feature a full bar, pool table, darts and even a jukebox to groove to some tunes. The late happy hour runs from 8-11 p.m. as well.
– "There’s no place like the neighborhood" is their slogan and this neighborhood has a pretty nice happy hour. Seven days a week from 3-6 p.m., Applebee's hosts a happy hour, and then there's a late night period from 9 p.m. to midnight. During any of those times appetizers are $5 and you can wet your whistle with domestic beers, Long Island ice teas or margarita’s for a mere $3.29 each. Of course they are also a full service restaurant if you would like to order off the regular menu.
– The Shack chimes in with a standard Monday through Friday happy hour from 3 to 6 p.m. Mary's Pizza Shack features $3 draft beers, $5.50 cocktails, $2 off wine by the glass (excluding house wines) and half-price appetizers. They also have a late night happy hour from 9:30 p.m. to close on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. With a full bar, TVs for the sports games, as well as ample seating on the patio, the Shack is a great place to get your happy going.
– The hour starts early and ends late at El Torito with a 2-8 p.m. happy hour. You can only get the special in the cantina, but it is spacious enough to keep people having a good time. Their $3 specials feature gold margaritas, domestic drafts, well drinks and wine for $3. They also have beef taquitos for $3.99. Sounds delicious!
– Chili’s wants you to "get your drink on" with a happy hour that runs Monday through Friday from 3-7 p.m. They also have a late happy hour Sunday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to close -- and during all football games! During happy hour Chili's has many drink and appetizer specials such as $2.99 draft beers and snacks as low as $2.99, plus free chips and salsa.
Mi Pueblito – If you are feeling more like some authentic Mexican fare then look no further than happy hour at Mi Pueblito (7600 Commerce Blvd.). A regular good time happens from Monday to Friday from 3-7 p.m. They have a full bar and feature discounts on margaritas and some of the appetizers. Plus normal menu items are available.
– Another great option for food south of the border is Tonayan. Proprietor Isidro Velasco runs a happy hour from 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Drinks and appetizers are the name of the game and of course if you get hungrier you can jump right into dinner!
Spancky’s – In Cotati, Spancky’s is a bar that has been around for years. Recently they just re-opened under new ownership and are trying hard to be a local hotspot (right in town at 8201 Old Redwood Highway). Monday to Friday they will have happy hour from 5-7 p.m. with $1 off all drafts. Sunday it will be half off all drinks with outdoor patio seating.