Considering eliminating your electric bill by going solar? Much thought and consideration should go into your process of picking a solar contractor for your property. While a solar installation is a simple task for seasoned contractors, some companies cut corners which can be disastrous in the short-term and long-term for the new solar producer.
There are various questions a property owner should think about when deciding to go solar, ranging from budget to location of the solar system to where the solar panels are made. Here are some tips to ensure your contractor is qualified, using the best materials and will guarantee the production promised to you.
Here are a few useful tips when choosing a solar contractor:
1. What type of training does the solar contracting firm have and how many years of experience do they have?
2. Ask the solar contractor where their solar panels are made. While locally-made panels may be slightly more expensive, you’re paying for quality products that will last, in addition to supporting our national economy.
3. Does your solar contractor outsource their crew? If so, there could be a disconnect between your project engineering and installation.
4. What are the warranty specifics? Has that solar contractor been in business long enough for you to be confident they’ll still be there when it’s time to honor those warranties?
5. Check the contractor’s rating with the Better Business Bureau and on Angie’s List. Reading reviews from current clients can provide incite about the company’s quality and service.
6. Ask for the specifics of the service agreements and performance guarantees. What happens if your system doesn’t produce what they say you’re going to produce?
7. Ensure the contractor is certified with the Contractors State License Board.
8. Get three bids and compare the companies, taking everything above into consideration when thoroughly evaluating the bids.
Interested in getting your first quote today? Local solar company, Sullivan Solar Power, provides free site evaluations. The company is currently running the Orange County Solar Program now through December 31, a cash-back solar incentive program for Orange County residents. Residents are eligible to receive up to $2,000 cash-back. To learn more visit www.OCSolarProgram.comor call 1-800-SULLIVAN today to schedule your free site evaluation. Don’t miss your opportunity to get paid to go solar with this countywide program.