Jul 30, 2014
Mostly Cloudy

New CHP Chief Patrols Local Highways, County Roads

Lieutenant Christopher Sherry is a 16-year CHP veteran and the fourth generation in his family to serve in Bay Area law enforcement.

New CHP Chief Patrols Local Highways, County Roads


A new California Highway Patrol commander has taken over the Castro Valley Area, which provides service not only to motorists traveling on Interstate 580, but also to residents of unincorporated Alameda County.

Effective August 31, Lieutenant Christopher Sherry replaced former Castro Valley commander Linda Franklin who was promoted to Captain and now oversees the Hayward Area office.  

Over the past three years only 30% of fatal collisions within the local CHP jurisdiction occurred on Interstate 580. The other 70% occurred in residential neighborhoods and on rural county roads.

The new commander said, contrary to some misconceptions, CHP does not write tickets to generate revenues, but to improve safety. (See additional statement.)

Lt. Sherry is a 16 year veteran of the CHP and the fourth generation of his family in Bay Area law enforcement. 

During his career, Lt. Sherry has served as Acting Commander of the Contra Costa and Hayward Area offices.  

In 2004, he became supervisor of the CHP's Judicial Protection Section, which protects justices of the California Supreme Court and California Court of Appeals.

Lt. Sherry is married and has two children. He is a graduate of California State University, Chico, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a Paralegal certificate. 

He is an Eagle Scout, and has been active volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America, youth sports, and men's ministries.

The new commander said he would focus on pedestrian safety, and minimizing fatal and injury collision violations like driving under the influence, speeding, and failure to use seatbelts. 

“I look forward to meeting citizens to hear their concerns and work together towards solutions,” he said.

What suggestions or gripes would you bring to Lt. Sherry's attention? 

(Get San Leandro Patch delivered by email. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter @sanleandropatch. Or start your own blog.)

Don’t miss updates from Patch!