St Patrick's Day is one of my very favorite holidays. I don't know if it's because you have the "right" to pinch someone who isn't wearing green or the idea that you can play tricks on others and blame it on a leprechaun, but it is just a great holiday.
I don't have an ounce of Irish in me, but it doesn't stop me from celebrating the holiday, nor should it you!
Start with some fun family traditions this St. Patrick's such as making corned beef and cabbage for dinner and leaving little gold chocolate coins around the house for the children to find. My kids love getting to have Lucky Charms cereal for breakfast on St. Patrick's Day as a special treat.
Here are some ideas for crafts and snacks you can make with your little "leprechauns" this year.
- Leprechaun mask: This craft is simple and easy. All you need is construction paper, scissor, glue sticks, yarn and your imagination. Cut out an oval from the construction paper that is the size of your child's face, and leave the remaining paper so you can add on a top hat and red hair and beard (made from different color construction paper). Hole punch on each side of the hat and run some yarn through that will fit around your child's head. Voila! You have your very own leprechaun!
- Shamrock lip gloss: You will need one tablespoon of Vaseline (petroleum jelly), vanilla extract, green eye shadow, colored glitter, and small plastic containers (or little pill boxes). Boil 1/4 cup of water then add the vaseline and mix until completely liquefies- about 5 minutes. Remove from stove and add some green eye shadow to it until it reaches the desired color. Add a couple drops of vanilla extract and some glitter. Pour into the small containers and let them cool.
- Wee leprechaun: This little guy can be crafted out of materials you most likely have around your house. You will need a toilet paper tube, green construction paper (or craft foam), acrylic paints (green, skin tone, pink, and brown), a black permanent marker, glue, 4 brown pipe cleaners, and a button. Follow Family Fun's step by step instructions here.
- Leprechaun trap: Kids love to try and catch that silly "prank-playing" leprechaun, so why not have your children devise a way to trap him? Have the children be creative and buy some gold spray paint and paint some rocks gold to "lure" the leprechaun into its trap. Kids can decorate boxes with trap doors, have buckets rigged with a string, etc. Let the kids be creative with this one; it is amazing how much fun they will have!
- Shamrock Shake: This one is easy and the kids love helping to make it. Get vanilla ice cream and add in a couple drops of green food coloring. Put in the blender and add milk to acquire the right consistency of a milkshake. Top with whipped cream and some green sprinkles. Yum!
What are your family St. Patrick's Day traditions?