Jul 29, 2014

Are You Owed an Income Tax Refund?

Lots of refunds were returned in the mail, so state officials are searching for people who might like to receive a little holiday season bonus.

Are You Owed an Income Tax Refund?

By Bay City News Service

Maybe you're one of the thousands of people in line to receive a little holiday season bonus in the mail. 

The state Franchise Tax Board is urging Bay Area residents who might have moved or not notified the state about an address change to check if the state owes them an income tax refund.

The board announced this week that it is holding more than $14 million in refunds statewide. Nearly 48,000 refunds, ranging from $1 to $35,000, were returned by the U.S. Postal Service, board officials said.

In the Bay Area, nearly $496,000 is owed to San Francisco County taxpayers, while more $590,000 in tax returns went undelivered in Santa Clara County.

In Alameda and Contra Costa counties, the board wants to return more than $440,000 and $254,000, respectively.

Taxpayers expecting a state refund that has yet to arrive can check their status at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/myacct/. You would need to establish an account before you can search.

Those who have moved and have not updated their address can also do so online. The board re-issues returned refunds automatically once a new address is filed.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

"Like" us on Facebook |  Follow us Twitter |  Get "Patched" in with our newsletter |  Start a blog

See what else is happening on San Rafael Patch:

  • Two Transported to Hospital After Car Accident on Bellam Blvd.
  • San Rafael’s Priciest Homes: 21 Sea Way
  • Firefighters Snuff Car Fire on US-101
  • Weekend Checkpoints Lead to 1 DUI Arrest

Don’t miss updates from Patch!