Some Sherman Oaks businesses are in hot water with the state, which has resorted to publicly listing their names in a database of the worst tax offenders.
On Tuesday, the California State Board of Equalization updated its online list of the Top 500 sales and use tax delinquencies-- a list which totals $514.9 million in taxes through the first quarter of 2014.
Sherman Oaks businesses named on the list are:
- $3,462,127.70 is owed by Specialty Auto Sales, Inc., 5015 Van Nuys Blvd.
- $1,607,031.20 is owed by Golden West Foods Corp. DBA Dennys Restaurant, 5525 Sepulveda Blvd.
- $1,399,819.04 is owed by Leighton Hull Jr., 5525 Sepulveda Blvd.
- $439,897.80 is owed by Silver Motorsports Inc., DBA Specialty Auto Sales, 5015 Van Nuys Blvd.
- $434,932.34 is owed by Laura Tiffiny Silver, 5015 Van Nuys Blvd.
"Since the inception of this program in 2007, the BOE has received $10.21 million from 121 qualifying taxpayers who came forward to pay their debts; 100 are making installment payments, and 21 have paid their debt in full," a press release from the BOE said Tuesday.
Of the hundreds of millions of dollars owed to California, $114.3 million are jointly owed liabilities.
"This means individuals associated with a corporation, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or limited liability company might be personally responsible for delinquent taxes," the BOE said.
This quarter alone, 44 taxpayers were added to the state's delinquent list. Together, they owe $41.4 million.