Greeting and welcome to City Scoop. Today is Thursday, April 26, the 117th day of 2012. Here’s what’s happening in West Hollywood today.
Seminal 1970s album Rumours by rockers Fleetwood Mac is the fifth bestselling album of all time, having sold 40 million copies to date. The album generated four top-ten singles and won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1977. But the making of that album was tumultuous as two of the couples in the band were in the midst of personal break ups. Rumours co-producer Ken Caillat has written a tell-all about the album, Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album. Caillat discusses and signs copies of the book at 7 p.m. at Book Soup.
Cellist Zoë Keating is a simple yet high-tech one-woman orchestra. She uses a cello and a foot-controlled laptop to record layer upon layer of cello, creating intricate and compelling music. Keating’s shows are astonishing both for the music she creates and her do-it-yourself ethic. She’s sold 40,000 copies of her album without a record label or physical distribution. And now you can check her out for yourself as she performs at Largo at 8 p.m.
Comedian Sinbad is the headliner for “Happily Ever Laughter,” a special comedy show and buffet dinner at The Comedy Store at 7 p.m., which benefits ovarian cancer research. Show is in honor of a 20-year-old West Hollywood resident who died of ovarian cancer.
The month-long Big Read 2012 events continue with a discussion group about Ray Bradbury’s classic novel Fahrenheit 451 at 7 p.m. at the . A PEN Center USA Emerging Voices fellow will lead the discussion about various themes in 1951 novel. Free and open to the public.
The Art on the Outside subcommittee of the Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission meets at 3:30 p.m. in the Community Conference Room in City Hall. The Rent Stabilization Commission meets at 7 p.m. in the City Council Chamber on the street level of the West Hollywood Library. The Women’s Advisory Board meets at 7 p.m. in the Community Conference Room in City Hall. All three meetings are open to the public.
Bands Playing in Town
- Jason Hemmens with Jasmine Ash, Chris Lightfoot, Through The Valleys and Dree Peterson at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Jeff Cahill with Allison Grey, Rainbow Blanket and Tiger Mouth at the Roxy Theatre. Show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Banda El Recodo at House of Blues. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Rita Ora at the Viper Room. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- The White Buffalo with Patrolled by Radar and Milow at the Troubadour. Show starts at 8:30 p.m.
- E-40 with 8 Boi Music and Trill Prada, Six Reasons, FloJoe, Cowboy and Rudeboy, Young Lawless and Block Balling, Prophet Loc, Jay Will, Mr. Swagger at the Key Club. Show stars at 8:30 p.m.
- Steel Drum Corps at the Viper Room. Show starts at 10 p.m.