20 Aug 2014
64° Overcast
Patch Instagram photo by samiholland

LAFD, SoCal Gas Warn Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Officials offer tips to remember when dealing with the colder weather and using cheaper options to stay warm.

LAFD, SoCal Gas Warn Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning LAFD, SoCal Gas Warn Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

As it gets colder and people look for less expensive ways to heat their homes, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases, officials said.

Southern California Gas Co. and Los Angeles Fire Department officials remind the public about important safety tips to reduce the risk of CO exposure.

CO poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or a CO leak from another source. Symptoms can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death.

Southland residents should remember the following tips to help prevent CO poisoning:

  • Never use a gas oven, portable barbeque or range for space heating.
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or SoCalGas.
  • Vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.
  • Never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.

If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately

For more information on staying safe, click here.

Share This Article