Today is Monday, July 30, the 212th day of the year.
Monday: Patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
Monday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Brookfield Republican Town Committee is hosting a debate between the candidates for the U.S. Congressional 5th District tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium. See the link above for details.
- The Arts Commission is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 209 of .
Today in History
- 1619: In Jamestown, VA, the first representative assembly of the Americas, the House of Burgesses, convenes for the first time.
- 1930: In Montevideo, Uruguay wins the first FIFA World Cup.
- 1932: Premiere of Walt Disney's Flowers and Trees, the first cartoon short to use Technicolor and the first Academy Award winning cartoon short.
- 1956: A joint resolution of the U.S. Congress is signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorizing In God we trust as the national motto.
- 1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Social Security Act of 1965 into law, establishing Medicare and Medicaid.
- 1975: Jimmy Hoffa disappears from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, MI, a suburb of Detroit, at about 2:30 p.m. He is never seen or heard from again and is declared legally dead on this date in 1982.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.