Today is Wednesday, June 6, the 158th day of the year.
Wednesday: Isolated showers between 10 a.m. and noon, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
Wednesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10 p.m., then a slight chance of showers between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Light west wind. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Police Commission has a regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in room 133.
- The Conservation Commission is meeting in room 119 of Town Hall at 7 p.m.
- Organizers of Grad Party '12 have a general meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the (BHS) cafeteria. .
- The Board of Selectmen (BOS) has a special meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 209 of Town Hall.
Today in History
- 1844: The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) is founded in London.
- 1932: The Revenue Act of 1932 is enacted, creating the first gas tax in the U.S., at a rate of 1 cent per gallon sold.
- 1944: D-Day, code named Operation Overlord, commences with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history.
- 1946: The National Basketball Association (NBA) is created, with 11 original teams.
- 1984: Tetris, one of the best-selling video games of all time, is released.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.