Jul 26, 2014
77°
Mostly Cloudy

Early Detection of Stove Fire Saves S&S Dugout

Residents of the building that houses S&S Dugout (3449 Post Road in Southport) were able to evacuate safely.

Early Detection of Stove Fire Saves S&S Dugout Early Detection of Stove Fire Saves S&S Dugout

Early detection of a small fire saved the beloved S&S Dugout eatery in Southport Wednesday morning, Assistant Fire Chief Chris Tracy said in a release.

Fairfield's Emergency Communications Center received a report of a stove on fire with heat and smoke detective activation just after 5 a.m. Engine 4 was first on scene at 5:07 a.m. and contained the fire to the kitchen area. Engine 1 and Ladder 1 performed a search and rescue of the second floor of the building, which is residential.

Residents were able to escape due to the "quick actions" of a restaurant employee, who called in the fire and activated the building's fire alarm system, Tracy said.

Four residents were briefly displaced and evaluated for smoke exposure by American Medical Response personnel, but none required further treatment. All four were able to reoccupy the building -- a structure that dates back to 1924, Tracy noted -- after responding units ventilated the smoke from the second floor.

James Gilleran of the town's Building Department and Health Inspector Sands Cleary were called to the 3449 Post Road structure to assess the effects of the fire, Tracy said.

S&S Dugout closed temporarily after fire fighters responded to the small blaze for cleaning and restoration. According to Tracy, the staff hoped to reopen later Wednesday, pending re-inspection by the Health Department and Fire Marshal.   

Don’t miss updates from Patch!