Today is Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. On this day in 1941, the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor was bombed by Japanese warplanes, heralding the United States' entry into WWII and forever going down in history as "a date which will live in infamy."
Famous birthdays include Richard Sears– 1863; Ted Knight – 1923; Larry Bird – 1956; Sara Bareilles – 1979.
- Ermine Street Home Sells for $1.2 Million in Fairfield
- Fairfield Police Collecting Toys for Children at Bridgeport Hospital
- Hanukkah 2012 in Fairfield
- Police Blotter
- Holiday Guide 2012
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Block Party for Hurricane Sandy Relief: 6 p.m. - 9 p.m., Southport Racquet Club. "Responding to the need to provide relief to local organizations now battling back from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the Southport Racquet Club will host a "block party" to raise funds for The Trinity Parish Nursery School, Operation Hope and The American Red Cross. The event will take place from 6:00pm to 9:00pm on Friday night, December 7th at the Southport Racquet Club. Light fare, drinks and music will be provided and admission is free. All guests are asked to consider making a donation to one of the three organizations which will be represented at this event."
- Cafe Music with David Webster and Friends: 7 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Local musician, David Webster and friends will play (Alternative Americana) at the Fairfield University Bookstore on Friday, December 7, 2012 from 7:00pm-9:00pm in the ongoing Café Music series. The group consists of Tony Mercadante on bass and vocals, Hans Broeking on percussion and vocals and Dave Webster on guitar and vocals. Stop in for a cup of java at Starbucks and warm up to the music!"
- Band Together with Debbie Davies: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $29. "Guitar legend Debbie Davies, Country Singer Nicole Frechette, Singer Songwriter, PJ Pacifico, Roy Rodrigues,Tim DeHuff, Tyger MacNeal, Jerry Vigorito and Rob Fried lead Band Together for an evening of country and blues in support of CT Challenge, their excellent programming and their new cancer survivorship facility in Southport. Come join the fun!"
- A Very New Orleans Christmas: 8 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $45. "Renowned jazz patriarch Ellis Marsalis is regarded by many as the premiere modern jazz pianist in New Orleans. Start off the season with the warm tones of Ellis's holiday classics from his 2011 release, A New Orleans Christmas Carol."
- Cookie Walk: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., Notre Dame Catholic High School cafeteria. "Notre Dame High School Home School Association will be hosting a Cookie Walk on Saturday, December 8th from 10-12 in the school cafeteria. Stop by for some homemade cookies, which will be sold by the pound. For more information contact Kathy Stefanatos at email@example.com."
- A Visit to Santa's House: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., The Burr Homestead, $7 at the door. "Please join us for entertainment, cookies with Mrs. Claus, holiday crafts, model trains, bake shop, raffles, and much more, and of course a picture with Santa! All proceeds will go to the Thomas Merton Center in Bridgeport and the Fairfield Storm Sandy Relief Fund."
- Menorah on the Green: 6:15 p.m., Sherman Green, free. "Join us as we celebrate the start of Chanukah with a public Menorah lighting and celebration. Hot latkes, doughnuts, gelt & more! Music & dancing! Meet Judah the Maccabee! Free & Open to the public!"
- A Visit to Santa's House: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., The Burr Homestead, $7 at the door. "Please join us for entertainment, cookies with Mrs. Claus, holiday crafts, model trains, bake shop, raffles, and much more, and of course a picture with Santa! All proceeds will go to the Thomas Merton Center in Bridgeport and the Fairfield Storm Sandy Relief Fund."
- Christmas Craft Fair: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Our Lady of the Assumption School. "Please join us for our Christmas Craft Fair and shop local supporting our community vendors and the students at Assumption Catholic School. We will have coffee, baked goods and food for you to enjoy while you shop. Please bring the kids as there will be photos with Santa and a craft and movie corner for them to enjoy."
- Connecticut Dance School's The Nutcracker: 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $40 for adults/$25 for students, seniors, and children. "The Connecticut Dance School will perform the full length Nutcracker ballet."
- John Gorka: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $22. "John Gorka received his first guitar as a Christmas gift, though he alleges that his older brother stole it from him shortly thereafter. He eventually learned, instead, to play the banjo, and began performing in a folk music group at his church. He attended Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and joined the Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band which also included Richard Shindell."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Anna Karenina – 1:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 7:25 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 10 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Argo – 1:30 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 7:15 p.m. 10 p.m. (2 hrs.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Flight – 12:50 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 19 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi – 12:40 p.m., 4 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Life of Pi 3D – 12:10 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:45 p.m. (2 hrs., 6 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lincoln – 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Skyfall – 12:20 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 7 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 23 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2: 1:10 p.m., 3:50 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 56 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "A chance of light rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent."
- Friday night: "Rain likely, mainly after 9 p.m. Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 41. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."
- Saturday: "Showers likely before noon, then a chance of rain after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 55. Northwest wind around 6 mph becoming southeast in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."
- Saturday night: "A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Northwest wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
- Sunday: "A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent."
- Sunday night: "A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 43. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 5:06 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:05 a.m.
- Low tide: 11:30 a.m.
- Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
- High tide: 5:32 p.m.
- Low tide: 11:48 p.m.
- High tide: 6:01 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:06 a.m.
- Low tide: 12:30 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
- High tide: 6:32 p.m.
- Low tide: 12:44 a.m.
- High tide: 6:57 a.m.
- Sunrise: 7:07 a.m.
- Low tide: 1:28 p.m.
- Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
- High tide: 7:30 p.m.