Today is Friday, Sept. 28, 2012. On this day in 1941, Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox became the last Major League Baseball player to hit .400.
Famous birthdays include Ed Sullivan – 1901; Brigitte Bardot – 1934; Janeane Garofalo – 1964; Naomi Watts – 1968.
- Eleven O Clock Road Home Sells for $1.2 Million
- Another Eatery Joins Fairfield's Restaurant Week
- Where to Get Free Coffee for National Coffee Day 2012
- Letter: Heather Dean 'Will Serve the Citizens Well'
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Fun Day Friday for Teens at the Library: 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "It’s Friday -- start the weekend off right -- drop in after school and watch movies, play games, work on crafts, get homework help and more."
- Fromage Fridays: 5 p.m., Fairfield Cheese Company, $10. "Every Friday this Fall Fairfield Cheese Company invites you and your friends to join us for a gourmet cheese tasting for $10.00 per person. We supply the cheese and the glasses you bring your favorite wine or beer. Perfect for before a movie or dinner!"
- The Dwight Elementary School Fall Fair: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., Dwight Elementary School, $20 wristbands. "There will be rides, games, crafts, face painting, kiddie games and great food provided by Christies Country Store of Westport. Be sure to stop by for some good ol' fun."
- Fundraiser for Bridgeport Police Sgt. Jessica Tillson: 6 p.m., Vasco Da Gama Club in Bridgeport (355 James Street), $30. "Jessica was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. This is Jessica's second bout with cancer. After speaking with Jessica, it was learned that among many things, one of the things she would like to do with her time is travel to places she has never been with her 10-year-old daughter. As a community of family, friends and even strangers, we can make this happen. We will be hosting a benefit dinner in Jessica’s honor at The Vasco Da Gama Club in Bridgeport on September 28, 2012 at 6pm. We are looking for donations in the form of raffle prizes, silent auction items, gift certificates, food trays, beverages, and anything that will help support this cause."
- Mason's Road - A Literary Online Journal Reading of Awards: 7 p.m. - 9 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. "Mason's Road is a Fairfield University Online Literary Journal. Join us for the reading of Award Winners in our Cafe. Everyone welcome! 7:00pm-9:00pm. Come and learn more about the program."
- New Orleans' Own Hot 8 Bass Band: 8 p.m., Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, $35. "New Orleans' own Hot 8 Brass Band has epitomized New Orleans street music for over a decade. The band plays the traditional Second Line parades, infusing their performances with the funk and energy that makes New Orleans music loved around the world."
- The Dwight Elementary School Fall Fair: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Dwight Elementary School, $20 wristbands. "There will be rides, games, crafts, face painting, kiddie games and great food provided by Christies Country Store of Westport. Be sure to stop by for some good ol' fun."
- Antique & Classic Car Show: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., Notre Dame Catholic High School, Free Admission to View/$10 to participate. "No Cutoff year - all makes and models welcome! $10 car registration fee. Free admission to view."
- Book Launch - "The Time-Traveling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette" by Bianca Turetsky: 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m., Fairfield University Bookstore, free. Come check out the book and speak to the author.
- Band Together - Rock the Ages: 6:30 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $50. adults/$25 youth. "Pre-party with drinks and light fare are included with your ticket price of $50 for adults and $25 for Youth. Vincent the amazing Sax player will be back along with some amazing talent!"
- 25th Annual Bigelow Tea Community Challenge: 9 a.m., Wakeman Boys & Girls Club, $25. "Open to the Public for a small registration fee, the huge, morning long event on Sunday September 30, features Fun activities for all ages: a 5K Road Race on a certified course through scenic Southport Harbor, a 2-mile Fitness Walk and Kids' Fun Run (100 yard scamper, 1/2 Mile Jog, 1 Mile Run)." (Pictured)
- Susan Santangelo Presents New Book at the Library: 1:30 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "The Fairfield Public Library is hosting Susan Santangelo, former Fairfield resident and author of the mystery, Marriage Can Be Murder on Sunday."
- Fairfield Prep Open House: 2 p.m., Fairfield College Preparatory School, free. "Fairfield Prep, a Jesuit, college preparatory school for boys in grades 9-12, invites all prospective students and their families to attend the Open House."
- Soundwaves - The Lions Gate Trio Chamber Music Concert: 3 p.m. Fairfield Public Library, free. "The Lions Gate Trio enjoys a combination of performing (nationally and internationally), recording, and working with young musicians in educational settings. Currently the trio-in-residence at the Hartt School (University of Hartford) and the Fairfield Public Library, Lions Gate has had previous residencies at Yale University, Tanglewood and the University of Pittsburgh."
- A View of the Harbor: 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., The Country Club of Fairfield, $150. "On Sunday, September 30th from 5 to 8 pm, Mercy Learning Center will host its annual View of the Harbor fundraiser overlooking Long Island Sound from the exclusive Country Club of Fairfield. This year’s event is also part of a year-long 25th Anniversary celebration of the organization and mission to 'Educate a woman... Educate a family'."
- Jen Chapin Trio: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $22. "Jen Chapin's music is jazz-tinged urban folk soul - story songs that search for community and shared meaning, powered by the funk and improvisation of the city."
- Pat Benatar: 8 p.m., Klein Memorial Auditorium, $55. "Pat Benatar: she's always been a rule-breaker and a trail-blazer, she remains a bold and distinctive artist both on stage and on record, and now, after more than three decades in rock 'n' roll, she's a bonafide living legend."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 1:05 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 9 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hope Springs – 1:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 6:50 p.m., 9:20 p.m. (2 hrs., 1 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania – 1 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 10 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDB – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hotel Transylvania 3D – 12:30 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 5 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr., 31 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 1:35 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m., 9:55 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 12:40 p.m., 1:10 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m., 9:40 p.m., 10:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green – 5:15 p.m., 7:40 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- ParaNorman – 12:45 p.m., 3 p.m., 10:05 p.m. (1 hr., 33 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 1:40 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 10:15 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Thursday:
- Friday: "Rain likely, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 70. East wind 13 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible."
- Friday night: "A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind around 8 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent."
- Saturday: "A chance of showers, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. Northwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Saturday night: "A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
- Sunday: "A chance of showers, mainly after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Sunday night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 4:27 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:47 a.m.
- High tide: 10:33 a.m.
- Low tide: 4:53 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:39 p.m.
- High tide: 10:57 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:09 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:48 a.m.
- High tide: 11:16 a.m.
- Low tide: 5:37 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:37 p.m.
- High tide: 11:40 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:49 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:49 a.m.
- High tide: 11:56 a.m.
- Low tide: 6:18 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:36 p.m.