Today is Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012. On this day in 1779, John Adams was appointed to negotiate peace terms with the British during the Revolutionary War.
Famous birthdays include Samuel Adams – 1722; Meat Loaf – 1947; Gwyneth Paltrow – 1972; Lil Wayne – 1982.
- Fairfield Seeks Grant to Extend Post Road Streetscape
- In Defense of the Flip-Flopper and Compromise
- Letter: Murphy Will 'Do What's Right for CT'
- Will Knowing the Calories Change Your Fast Food Eating Habits?
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Building Your Family via Egg Donation or Surrogacy: 6 p.m., Southport Congregational Church, free. "Join our speakers to learn about the exciting opportunities available to you when starting or expanding your family. This informative seminar will cover legal, medical and psychological aspects of egg donation and surrogacy."
- Zumba Fundraiser to Benefit the Alzheimer's Association: 6 p.m., The Edge, $15. First 100 get in, non-members welcome. "Join the party to move the cause forward!"
- 5 Steps to Getting Your Photos Back into Your Life: 6:30 p.m., Fairfield Museum and History Center, $35. "Our photos tell our family stories. But most of us are so overwhelmed by boxes of old photos, home movies and memorabilia, and digital images all over the computer, that we simply don't know what to do or where to turn for help. If you are feeling frustrated and don't know where to start, this seminar is for yo
- Jennifer Butler Fashion Show to Benefit the Library: 7 p.m., the Delamar Hotel, $60. "Fairfield’s own clothing designer, Jennifer Butler, presents her Fall 2012 collection for women, men and girls on Thursday, September 27th, at the Delamar Hotel, 275 Old Post Road in Southport, Connecticut. Join us for an evening of fashion that also benefits the Fairfield Public Library."
- : 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Bullying isn’t limited to the playground and lunchroom anymore, now it can also take place online where it can have an even more devastating impact. This program, led by experienced school administrator Jeff McHugh, will give parents a 'behind the scenes' look at the social interaction going on among today’s students."
- ABC's of Estate Planning and Wills: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "A will is an important financial planning tool for ensuring that your assets are distributed according to your wishes and that these assets are distributed to your heirs, not the tax rolls of the government. Attorney Greta Solomon will cover the basics of why a will is needed, what is required under the law to have a valid will, how living trusts are used and why they are recommended."
- A Better Way of Preparing for Job Interviews: 7 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "Career coach Melanie Szlucha will cover the finer points of interviewing such as establishing rapport, avoiding the “walk of silence” from the reception desk to the interview, negotiating the offer, and preparing for the five questions you will always be asked." (Pictured)
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hope Springs – 6:50 p.m. (2 hrs., 1 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lawless – 4:20 p.m. (1 hr., 55 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green – 7 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- ParaNorman – 5 p.m. (1 hr., 33 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Words – 5:15 p.m., 7:35 p.m. (1 hr., 36 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Human Services Commission: 4 p.m., Fairfield Senior Center Conference Room ( agenda)
- Parking Authority: 7:30 p.m., Sullivan Independence Hall (second floor conference room) ( agenda)
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Wednesday:
- Thursday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. North wind 7 to 11 mph."
- Thursday night: A chance of rain, mainly after 1 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Northeast wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s "Commute” page.
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 3:40 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:46 a.m.
- High tide: 9:46 a.m.
- Low tide: 4:05 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:41 p.m.
- High tide: 10:11 p.m.