Today is Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2012. On this day in 1960, the first debate between presidential candidates John F. Kennedy (Democrat) and Richard M. Nixon (Republican) were held in Chicago.
Famous birthdays include John "Johnny Appleseed" Chapman – 1774; T.S. Eliot – 1888; George Gershwin – 1898; Olivia Newton John – 1948.
- Letter: 'Taxpayers Deserve to Be Represented'
- Letter: Former RTM Majority Leader Supports Heather Dean
- Coastal Fairfield County Business Owners: Free Social Media Training
- Police Blotter
- Campaign Notebook
- Local Voices
COMMUNITY SPORTS GALLERY
Want your photos and/or write-ups from Fairfield youth or recreational sports featured on Fairfield Patch? Add them to the Community Sports Gallery.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Film Screening at the Library - 'Hungry for Change': 2 p.m., Fairfield Public Library, free. "'Hungry for Change' exposes shocking secrets the diet, weight loss and food industry don’t want you to know about."
- Wine & Wool Craft Night: 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Pious Bird of Good Omen, free. "Fall is here and Wine & Wool is back on! Bringing together regulars and drop-ins to chit-chat, share ideas and felt. Perhaps you have a craft project you are working on and would like some company while you work on it. Bring it on by, we are not woolcentric!" (Pictured)
- Anam Cara - Book Group for 'Years of Wonder': 7 p.m., St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, $10. "All are welcome (this is not an ongoing book group) as we explore this riveting book as it deals with plague; religious conviction and superstitious nonsense; illicit sex -- not to mention love, sacrifice and a certain liberation -- 'Year of Wonders' has it all."
- Perpetual Groove: 7 p.m., Fairfield Theatre Company, $18. "Perpetual Groove has been a staple of the Jamband scene that has grown quickly into a formidable international touring organization. Now based in Athens, GA, the band continues to ride an unending wave of momentum buoyed by an enthusiastic fan base and international critical acclaim."
FAIRFIELD CINEMAS AT BULLARD SQUARE SHOWTIMES
- Finding Nemo 3D – 3:45 p.m., 6:30 p.m. (1 hr., 41 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Hope Springs – 6:50 p.m. (2 hrs., 1 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Intouchables – 4:40 p.m., 7:20 p.m. (1 hr., 52 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Lawless – 4:20 p.m. (1 hr., 55 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Master – 3:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 7:10 p.m. (2 hrs., 30 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green – 7 p.m. (1 hr., 40 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- ParaNorman – 5 p.m. (1 hr., 33 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- Trouble with the Curve – 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (1 hr., 51 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
- The Words – 5:15 p.m., 7:35 p.m. (1 hr., 36 min.) – IMDb – Rotten Tomatoes – Trailer
FORECAST as of 3 p.m. on Tuesday:
- Wednesday: "Scattered showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. South wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Wednesday night: "Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before midnight, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Fairfield Patch’s
- Westport: northbound, south of Exit 19 – Maple Lane
- Fairfield: southbound, Exit 19 – Mill Hill Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 21 – North Pine Creek Road
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – Fairfield Service Plaza
- Fairfield: northbound, Exit 22 – North Benson Road
- Fairfield: southbound, north of Exit 24 – Brentwood Avenue
- Bridgeport: northbound, Exit 26 – Wordin Avenue
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 2:48 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:45 a.m.
- High tide: 8:54 a.m.
- Low tide: 3:13 p.m.
- Sunset: 6:42 p.m.
- High tide: 9:20 p.m.