Sidney S. Postol, 96, of Fairfield, passed away on Monday, April 28, 2014 at The Carolton of Fairfield.
Born in Bridgeport to the late Norman and Henrietta Postol, he attended Bridgeport Public Schools.
Mr. Postol was a graduate of Yale College in 1939, with a government major; Harvard Law School from 1939-40, Harvard Graduate School from 1940-41; trained with Civilian Agencies – Government of Northern Ireland in 1945; and attended Yale Labor Management Center from 1949-51.
Mr. Postol was a veteran of the United States Army, having served from April 1942 to December 1945, receiving a Field Commission on Aug. 15, 1944, in St. Raphael, France.
He served as Executive Secretary-Committee of 100 for the Yonkers, NY Taxpayers Association from 1941-42; from 1946-1986 served as Vice President of City Lumber Company, Vice President of Cilco Terminal, President of Seaview Avenue Lumber Terminal and President of Intercoastal Trucking Company, and was the Executive Manager for the Cilco Terminal from 1987-93.
Mr. Postol held various civic and government offices, including:
- 1954-1956 Vice-Chairman, Fairfield CT Chapter American Civil Liberties Union
- 1956-1960 Chairman, Fairfield, CT Chapter American Civil Liberties Union,
- 1957-1959 Member Fairfield Representative Town Meeting
- 1959-1969 Member Fairfield Town Plan and Zoning Commission and Member Greater Bridgeport Regional Planning Agency
- 1959-2006 Member Democratic Town Committee of Fairfield
- 1961-2003 Leader of 7th District Democrats
- 1961-1965 Sports Car Club of America – National Competition License
- 1969-1983 Member Fairfield Board of Education (two terms as Chairman)
- 1986-1988 State Representative 134th Assembly District
- 1986-1991 Member Fairfield Board of Library Trustees (two terms as Chairman)
- 1987-2000 Member Regional Youth Substance Abuse Project Coordinating Committee
- 1998-2002 Member Fairfield Ethics Commission (two terms as Chairman)
- 1991-1997 Trustee of Pequot Library Association
- 1999-2004 Organized and Coordinated Chamber Music from Yale at the Pequot Library
- 2004-2014 Member of the Fairfield Police Commission
Mr. Postol also served as Treasurer Bridgeport Intergroup Council, Board of Trustees Congregation B’nai Israel, Board of Trustees Jewish Community Center of Bridgeport, Treasurer Connecticut Association of Boards of Education, Chairman Intercoastal Lumber Distributors, and Director North American Wholesale Lumber Association.
Mr. Postol was the recipient of the Deana O. Kieman Memorial Award for outstanding Contributions to Education in the Fairfield Public Schools in 1984, John J. Sullivan Award from the Fairfield Democratic Town Committee in 1990, and the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce Harold B. Harris Award for outstanding Contributions to the Town of Fairfield in 2003.
Mr. Postol was pre deceased by his beloved wife, Eunice S. Postol in 1998, and by a son, Daniel E. Postol in 1979.
He is survived by his devoted children, Barbara Postol Rifkin (Edward Cheffetz), Attorney Lawrence P. Postol (Ellen Russell); adored grandchildren Terry Rifkin Wasserman, Daniel P. Rifkin, Raymond Postol, Stephan Postol, Carolyn Postol; great grandchildren Eunice Mae Wasserman, Cameron Russell Postol; cherished sisters and brother, Hilda Brier, Rosalind Golden, Natalie Schwartz, Earl Postol; and by his dear friend, Nancy Gilliand.
Funeral services will take place on Thursday, May 1, at 11 a.m. from Congregation B’nai Israel, 2710 Park Ave. in Bridgeport, with interment following at B’nai Israel Cemetery on Kings Highway in Fairfield.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Daniel E. Postol Memorial Scholarship Fund at Fairfield Warde High School, The Pequot Library Association, or to a charity of one’s choice.
The Abraham L.
Green and Son Funeral Home is in care of the arrangements.