Are you aware of Parkinson's disease? Well, this month is dedicated to promoting the awareness of it, and that is exactly what our focus of this week is on.
- 1 million people in the US have it, with 50,000-60,000 people additionally diagnosed every year
- the disease is the result of 60-80% of the dopamine-producing cells in your brain being damaged and failing to produce sufficient quantities of dopamine, resulting in motor symptoms [associated with PD]
- it is a neurodegenerative brain disorder
- activities of daily living (ADLs) are interfered with, especially as the disease progresses
- when ADLs become problematic and difficult for you or your loved one, occupational therapists are very helpful in such situations and if that is not enough, private home care might be worth considering
http://www.pdf.org/ for more information on Parkinson's disease and what your options are if you are affected by this disease