Week # 6
On August 22,1639 the First Church of Milford was formed. This was while settlers still lived in New Haven. Seven “pillars” (men) were chosen as its governing body. These men were: Peter Prudden, Zachariah Whitman, William Fowler, John Astwood, Edmund Tapp, Thomas Welch, and Thomas Buckingham. “Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars.”
January 1778- The town of Milford approved The Articles of Confederation. Tories (supporters of the British) were compelled to keep close to their homes.
In 1935 prices at Platt’s Market included: hamburger was two pounds for $.50, sardines were three cans for $.25, corn flakes were two packages for $.15, and 20 Mule Team Borax was $.17 a box.
the Puritan days the good citizens of Milford were called to church with a
drum. Attendance was mandatory. Women sat in one section of the church,
children sat in another; they were strictly monitored by an adult church
member. Men stood in the back near the gun rack in case of Indian trouble. Churchgoers were required to walk directly to
church and directly home. No deviation of path was allowed.
In 1843 torrential spring rains burst several mill dams on the Wepawaug River.The rains washed tons of mud, stone, and debris into the harbor. Federal aid was not available and local resources were not available to dredge the basin and harbor. This eventually led to the development of Fowler Field.
In 1930 the first baseball field in Milford was constructed behind the American Legion Building (the Fowler Building).
For more information visit
www.milfordct375.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org