Originally posted as a blog on Milford Patch
Welcome to the first in a series of 10 articles and photos on moments in the City of Milford's History, compiled and co-authored by Jean Tsang and David Gregory.
The year 2014 marks Milford’s 375th birthday. It is a time of celebration and reflection. A committee is hard at work planning activities. The purpose of this weekly column will be to provide facts and information about the little city with the big heart.
The original colony was made up of followers of Peter Prudden. Prudden was a popular preacher in England and New England. The land was purchased on February 12, 1639 from Ansantawae, a chief of the Paugusset Indians.
The settlers bartered for six coats, ten blankets, one kettle, twelve hatchets, twelve hoes, two dozen knives, and a dozen small mirrors.
Want to know more? This information was found in "History of Milford Connecticut 1639-1939."