Don't sit home alone with a bowl of Lucky Charms this Saint Patty's Day. Even if you’re not Irish, here are 5 ways to go out and celebrate the special day with friends and family in New Canaan.
1. Eat breakfast in style this week with green bagels from Bruegger’s. Add one of their fresh cream cheese spreads for a festive and delicious morning meal. Plain green bagels will be available March 15-17.
2. Treat your ears to the sounds of the homeland with a bagpiper performance at Cherry Street East. With special dishes like potato leak soup, Guinness beef stew, shepherd’s pie and Irish soda bread (just to name a few), you’ll get the full Irish pub experience. Enjoy the bagpiper performance scheduled at 5 p.m.
3. Sample an authentic Irish menu at Gates Restaurant. The New Canaan hotspot will be serving up traditional Irish fare including corned beef and cabbage, shepherd’s pie, and bangers and mash for lunch and dinner. Or, you can take a seat at the bar for a selection of Irish whiskey’s including Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Powers, and Paddys. If whiskey’s not your thing, relax with a glass of Guinness or Smithwicks, or try an Irish coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up.
4. Head for dessert at Baskin Robbins, where they’ve been celebrating St. Patty’s day all month long. Try a taste of the flavor of the month “Lucky Mint”, which loads mint flavored milk chocolate ice cream with green candy bites and chocolate-coated sandwich bits. This is something even the leprechaun himself can’t resist.
5. Catch up on your March madness with a green beer from the bar of Fifty Coins. $2 green Bud Light drafts and traditional corned beef and cabbage will be served up on the big day.
(Editor's Note: This article was originally published on March 15. We're posting it again now to help you make your St. Patrick's Day plans.)