New Canaan Police Department animal control officer Mary Ann Kleinschmitt encourages dog owners to call her unit at 203-594-3510 when pets get out and are lost.
Dogs found with their registered ID tags on them are returned to their homes straightaway when found.
- 11:08 a.m., Old Stamford Road & Farm Road: A yellow Labrador retriever was seen roaming. A Brookside Road resident found the lab, which was licensed and tagged, and it was returned to its owner, who lives on the same street.
- 3:35 p.m., Pocconock Trail & Carter Street: A black Labrador retriever was seen roaming—police couldn’t located the dog when they arrived in the area.
- 2:44 p.m., Spencer’s Run, Waveny: A dog was found to be in the designated park for off-leash dogs but was without its tags. The owner, of Darien, was asked to leave and warned about the need to license and tag the dog.
- 11:11 a.m., Waveny: A dog owner was fined $90 for violating a local ordinance which prohibits dogs from roaming off-leash outside the designated area at Spencer’s Run.
- 1:19 p.m. Spencer’s Run, Waveny: Police issued a warning to a dog owner whose animal was in the park without its license.