Today is Wednesday, May 30, the 151st day of the year.
Today's Top Headlines
Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Partly sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Region 15 Band and Orchestra Teachers invite fourth graders and parents to a Districtwide Instrument Recruitment Night at .
Today in History
- 1989 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: the 33-foot high "Goddess of Democracy" statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
- 1966 – Launch of Surveyor 1 the first US spacecraft to achieve landing on an extraterrestrial body.
- 1948 – A dike along the flooding Columbia River breaks, obliterating Vanport, Oregon within minutes. Fifteen people die and tens of thousands are left homeless.
- 1883 – In New York City, a rumor that the Brooklyn Bridge is going to collapse causes a stampede that crushes twelve people.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.