Stamford Patch congratulates Officers Rhett Connelly and Troy Judge for being names 's Officers of the Year for 2012.
The two became close friends while attending the police academy in 2005 and have been partners on the overnight shift since 2007. Highlights from their career so far list numerous high-profile arrests, including:
- In 2011 they were responsible for taking numerous weapons off the street including a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 caliber rifle along with 22 rounds of ammunition
- In 2009 they received a letter of commendation for arresting burglary suspects after viewing surveillance videos and recognized someone they had encountered in the past.
- In 2008 they arrested two burglars who had been plaguing the city’s east side with numerous car burglaries.
- In 2008 Officers Connelly and Judge seized 22.3 grams of crack cocaine and 1.5 grams of heroin laced with marijuana after as motor vehicle stop. They arrested the two occupants of the car.
- In 2007 after a motor vehicle stop they seized 175.5 grams of powdered cocaine with an estimated street value of $17,000 and arrested the two occupants of the car.
Connelly said he enjoys the different atmosphere the overnight shift provides.
“It’s a different environment,” said Connolly. “You have to get acclimated to the fact that most of your tour is being worked in complete darkness and that alone presents unique and perhaps dangerous challenges. Also we deal with many people who can best be described as ‘characters’ who you won’t see during the day.”
“We get a lot of satisfaction out of protecting the public at a time when citizens are most vulnerable,” added Judge.
The officers will receive their awards at the Stamford Police Association Annual Awards Dinner which will be held on Thursday evening, June 14 at Giovanni’s in Darien.
Yankees Senior Vice President & General Manager Brian Cashman will be the guest speaker.