1. Showers are expected before noon today, with a high around 63, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low of 44, according to the service.
2. I will be off this week. Jayne Keedle is filling in. If anybody has any news or would like to contact the editor for any reason, send Jayne an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be back Monday.
3. A clarification: Four teachers were laid off this year , and then another two had their positions reduced, according to Superintendent Jerome Belair. I originally reported that all got their jobs back because of resignations and retirements, although only the elementary school teachers did. Others did not.
4. Today, the fall book fair begins at Quaker Hill Elementary School, running from 9 a.m., to 3 p.m. And also tonight, there is a public hearing at 7 p.m. at Town Hall on the , which once implemented generally lasts around 10 years. If anybody wants a voice on what the town should look like, feel free to attend.
5. On this date in 1968, American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos, both black, raise their fists in the air while accepting the gold and silver medals in the 200-meter dash at the Summer Olympics. The raising of the fist was associated with the black power movement, although Smith said later it was a human rights salute.
And on this date in 1931, Al Capone is convicted of income tax evasion, and would spend the rest of his life in jail.
Quote of the Day
“Because of great love, one is courageous.”
Trivia of the Day
What did Al Capone die of?
Friday’s Answer: Alex Rodriguez never had a public relationship with Lady Gaga.