1. Today should be partly sunny, with a high near 51, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 36, according to the service.
2. A press release from the Waterford Police Department:
The Waterford Police Department is joining thousands of law enforcement agencies in a nationwide crackdown on driving under the influence violators through the Thanksgiving and New Year's holidays. The Waterford Police Department will assign two or three additional Officers on patrol in an attempt to make our local roadways safer.
These additional Officers will specifically target DUI Enforcement between the hours of 5 p.m. and 4 a.m. Speeding and other motor vehicle violations will also be strictly enforced.
The DUI Enforcement Campaign is part of the Federal Highway Safety Program in accordance with the 2013 Fiscal Year Connecticut Highway Safety Strategic Plan. The Waterford Police Department urges all motorists to voluntarily participate in safe responsible motor vehicle operation.
3. Would you like to help out a family for Thanksgiving? Donate a frozen turkey to the Waterford Youth Services Bureau. The bureau gives the turkeys to needy Waterford families. For more information, click here.
4. Today is the last full day of school in Waterford this week. Wednesday there is an early dismissal and Thursday and Friday there is no school for Thanksgiving.
Today, there is a flu clinic in New London (click here for more information about the clinic, and here for the importance of getting a flu shot). Also, tonight the Board of Selectmen meets at 5 and the School Building Committee meets at 5:30, both in Town Hall, and the Utility Commission meets at 6 at 1000 Hartford Turnpike. All meetings are open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2008, the Dow Jones Industrial Average reached its lowest level since 1997. And on this date in 1985, Microsoft Windows 1.0 was released.
Quote of the Day
“Nothing is worth more than this day.”
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Trivia of the Day
Who sculpted the Renaissance sculpture David?
Yesterday’s Answer: Daniel Day-Lewis is playing Abraham Lincoln in the recently released movie Lincoln.