1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 48, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 33, according to the service.
2. I’m told planning has begun for the Waterford Youth Services' spring community event, although the event remains a secret.
The last two years, Waterford Youth Services has run Dancing with the Stars, where local “celebrities” (such as this Patch editor, along with police officers and teachers, among others) competed against each other. Youth Services Director Dani Gorman has said she will not do Dancing with the Stars again this year, as instead she promises to do an event that is even more fun.
Gorman refused to say what the event is. However, she said dancing shoes are required, along with the same level of professional training. I wonder what it could be...
3. At the Board of Education meeting Tuesday night, Waterford High School Senior Class President Michael Spanos gave a report on the climate of the high school and how students were feeling about ongoing construction at the school.
The Board of Education made a goal this year of having students come in and talk about their experiences in school. Spanos was the first to do so and touched on a variety of topics.
He said the biggest news of the year was the student-proclaimed “drug raid,” where Waterford High School was searched by drug-sniffing dogs, a new enforcement policy that was done for this first time this year. He also said that while they were worried about all the consequences of the storm, the student body was happy to have a week off thanks to Superstorm Sandy.
He ended saying that students are excited to be moving into the new addition as part of the $68 million Waterford High School renovation. He said students are curious about how it will be and rumors are abound, but overall they are excited to move in this April.
4. All week this week, there will be delays because of construction at the intersection of Rt. 85 and I-395 from 7:30 a.m. to the late afternoon, according to the Waterford Police Department’s Facebook page. The department is encouraging all residents to take alternative routes if possible.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1864, Union General William Sherman burned Atlanta as the beginning of his March to the Sea. And on this date in 1969, David Thomas opened the first Wendy’s restaurant.
Quote of the Day
“Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them.”
Trivia of the Day
Name two people who hosted Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show”.
Yesterday’s Answer: Nellie Bly went around the world in 72 days while working for the New York World. The editor of the newspaper at the time was Joseph Pulitzer.