14 Sep 2014
54° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by quadrofoglio
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by daniellemastersonbooks
Patch Instagram photo by healthandbeautynz
Patch Instagram photo by andreagazeapt
Patch Instagram photo by reh_22
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by pespatchpsp

Fallen Easton Firefighter's Memorial Service Set

Lt. Russell Neary will be buried on Saturday.

Fallen Easton Firefighter's Memorial Service Set Fallen Easton Firefighter's Memorial Service Set

Update, Friday 1:39 p.m.

Lt. Russell Neary of the Easton Fire Department died Monday when out in the field as Hurricane Sandy swept through the area. 

To honor Neary's life, Gov. Dannel Malloy announced Friday that flags in Connecticut would fly at half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Saturday, when his funeral service is planned.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Lt. Neary’s family, friends, and fellow firefighters during this terrible time,” said Governor Malloy. “He died in the line of duty doing what he loved to do: helping people. This was a devastating storm for the region, made exponentially worse by the death of Lt. Neary and the three Connecticut residents who lost their lives. Connecticut’s first responders put themselves in harm’s way every single day, and we are deeply grateful for their work and the sacrifices they make on behalf of the state.”

Neary, who served as a member of the Easton Fire Department for 13 years, leaves behind a wife and two daughters, as well as his brother, Peter Neary, who serves as Easton's Fire Marshal. 

“We join the Neary family and the Town of Easton in mourning the tragic loss of Lt. Neary,” said Lieutenant Governor Nancy Wyman. “We are very proud and grateful for the work our fire, police, and emergency services personnel are doing to help Connecticut residents recover from Storm Sandy—and the work they do every day to protect us. Lt. Neary was a critical part of Easton’s response team, and his loss will be felt every day.” 

Neary's service is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Nov. 3, at 11 a.m. at the Notre Dame Roman Catholic Church.  

Update, Tuesday 4:45 p.m.

One of Easton's Bravest lost his life yesterday while out on a call when a tree fell onto the firetruck he was riding in.

While officials confirmed the accident last night—and preliminary reports came out last night which indicated the firefighter had died from his injuries—Fire Chief Jim Girardi confirmed Tuesday the loss of a "brother," as Gov. Dannel Malloy stopped by the Easton Fire Department to pay respects, The Easton Courier reports.  

According to The Courier, Girardi was not at liberty to release the firefighter's name, at his family's request. Girardi described him as "a great man and natural father, devoted to his family."

Original story:

Easton Police confirmed a firefighter was injured after a tree fell on the firetruck he was in while he was out in the field on a call Monday evening as Hurricane Sandy made its way through the area. 

Around 7 p.m., police would confirm the incident occurred but would not get into any other details, as the case remained under investigation. 

According to emergency services dispatches, the firefighter was "severely injured" in the accident on Judd Road.

CPR was administered at one point, too.

Patch will provide updates for this story as soon as they're available. 

Share This Article