Seems like the season has been one long string of one "special sale" after another, with price-markdown's consistent throughout the unfolding weeks from pre-Thanksgiving to after-Christmas.
As the hours unwind to a new year, it's time again to see what's happening in the local world of commerce, where what you buy is what you hope to buy on deep discount.
But first, a snapshot look at the grade "retail watchers are giving this year's holiday shopping season," as reported by the New York Post in a Dec. 29 article entitled, Frenetic Finish.
- Based on information from the International Council of Shopping Centers, the Post reports that "revenue at stores open at least a year — a closely watched metric — is on track to rise about 3.5 percent for the November-December period."
- That rise, the Post continues, "which was boosted by a 4.5-percent jump during the week before Christmas, would surpass the average holiday gain of 1.7 percent logged during the past decade."
- Noted as well, though, was the problem that this brisk, seasonal push resulted from consumers hitting stores "only when they had to, seeking 11th-hour deals on everything from fleece jackets to big-screen TVs."
That deal-searching appears to have no let-up, and aiding that effort are a host of deals as the old year breaths its final hours.
We did some research for you, for this listing of New Year's Eve sales and clearance offers. (By no means is the list complete, and readers should check with the stores to verify for themselves the information noted.)
As always, feel free to list your own finds in the comment box below.
- The Bealls "Absolute End of the Year Giant Sale" ends today, Dec. 31, at 7 p.m. Sixty percent off fleece, sweaters, hoodies and velour. Save up to 80 percent on clearanace items. Buy one, get one for $1, in the semi-annual intimate event.A Bealls saving coupon of $10 is noted as well. For more, see the online advertistement. Also valid through Dec. 31, $10 off orders of $25 or more, with the online promo code, "NEW10."
- Best Buy's "Great Entertainment, Unbeatable Prices" sale continues through Dec. 31 with "hot deals," including a 46-inch Class LED 5080p 120Hz Smart HDTV for $899, after savings of $400. Through Jan. 7, and with an instant rebate, save up to $350 on an EOS Rebel T3i, T2i or T3 camera combo. For more sales and offers, see online advertisement.
- The shopping mall has posted online its New Year's schedule "and some excellent end-of-the-year deals," including a free 16x20 personalized calendar poster valued at $19.99, compliments of Westfield and Shutterfly, when you buy at least one gift card worth $50 or more through Dec. 31. The mall is open until 6 p.m. New Year's Eve and from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. New Year's Day. Link to a Facebook site to enter a chance to win a $500 dining card. Free weekend valet parking is available at the restaurant courtyard, courtesy of Ed Morse Cadillac. For more, visit the Westfield Brandon Web site.
- stores and pharmacies are open regular Sunday hours on New Year's Day. Online only, Walgreens is offering an extra $5 off $30 or more, and an extra $10 off $50 or more, including sale-priced items. See online advertisement for coupon codes and more deals and hours.
- The "Deal of the Day" at online includes a Griffin Elan Form Leather Case for iPhone 4, with stand, for $9.95. The original price is $20.04. Also, there are book, movie and television, music, kids and teen, toy and game, home and gift and magazine deals. For more, see online advertisement.
- "Be ready to ring in the New Year" at with deals on party goods and foods to serve. Deals include Gem Star Hat, a two-pack of tiaras or a package of party horns, each selling for $2.47, through Jan. 3. For $9.97, the "Let's Party" assortment for 10 revelers, including five hats, five tiaras, five leis and 10 horns. A 24-count "Pinwheel Tray" of hors d'oeuvres, made to order in Walmart delis, is $18. For more, see online advertisement.
- At Michaels, save up to 70 percent on items throughout the store, inluding holiday offerings. For more, see online advertisement.