Clearwater Fire and Rescue workers were awarded top prizes in different divisions including firefighter and driver operator at the Firefighter CrossFit Challenge Feb. 9.
Christian Miller took first place for firefighter and Anthony Gomillion second. Wendy Arnold took the top spot for driver operator in the women division, according to a release.
In all, six members of Clearwater Fire and Rescue competed against 25 other firefighters from departments around the Tampa Bay area, including Tampa, Largo, and Dunedin.
"This is not just for their safety but also for anyone requiring their assistance," Ronald Gemsheim, Clearwater Fire and Rescue assistant chief of health and safety, said in a release. "This event showcased some of the finest and most fit firefighters in the area and the Clearwater Fire and Rescue Department is very proud of how its members performed."
Firefighters competed in three events:
- In full gear, including scuba, breathing air while performing specific firefighter tasks.
- In full gear, including scuba, participating in typical CrossFit exercises.
- In normal gym wear running and bodyweight exercises.
"Firefighting is a difficult and very physically demanding occupation which requires the members to be in top physical condition," Gemsheim said.
- Wendy Arnold, driver operator, first place
- Christian Miller, firefighter, first place
- Anthony Gomillion, firefighter, second place
- Steve Peters, fire medic, tied for third place but lost the tie breaker