While it’s getting pretty cold in the northern states, we’re fortunate here in Florida that we’re able to grill outdoors year round. Now, as we’re starting to get a break from the heat and feel a bit of fall in the air, is the best time for Floridians to grill outdoors.
We’ve all got our favorite grilling recipes for steaks, chicken, BBQ, seafood, and hamburgers and hot dogs; but how many grilled desserts do you know?
This dessert is fast, easy, tasty and has no clean up; just eat it right out of of your cooking foil.
Bananas on the Barbie, Florida Style
The addition of the orange cream puts these bananas over the top!
2 passion fruit
4 tablespoons orange juice
4 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur (you may substitute 1 tsp orange extract)
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoon orange flavored liqueur (or ½ tsp orange extract)
- Peel the bananas and place each on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Cut each passion fruit in half. Squeeze the juice from half a passion fruit on each banana.
- In a small bowl, gently stir together the orange juice and liqueur (or extract); spoon equally over the bananas.
- Fold the foil tightly and completely over the bananas. Cook packets on a hot grill for 10 minutes or until the bananas are tender.
- While the bananas grill, make your orange cream by whisking the cream and sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form. This works much better if you hand whisk because an electric mixer can over whip this small portion very quickly. Gently fold in the orange liqueur or extract and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, open the foil packets and place a scoop of orange cream next to each banana. Serve with a fork and enjoy!
Chef Tip: If you can't find passion fruit, try this with any other citrus fruit or berries. I like mine with blueberries and raspberries, which you can buy frozen and then just thaw a bit before placing them in the packets with the bananas.